Reboot Computer Services 106 Walcot Street Bath BA1 5BG 01225 447227

Home The Shop Support Oddments

Hincot Ltd. registered in England and Wales Co. reg. no. 483 8381 VAT reg. no. 811 3624 64

Interceptor 650

The ongoing story of the mighty two stroke

The Suzuki GT500

The front brake was at best adequate and so I started looking for a GT750 front end to add a second disk. During 2018 I found a set of forks, an extra disk and a load of caliper and master cylinder bits. As the fork legs looked similar to a very cursory glance I thought I could just swap the sliders. They weren’t and I couldn’t. The 750 forks had sliders that ran direct on the leg with no bushes. So I had to rebuild the 750 forks - as you will see from the bottom picture they were the bung in the top type and had been left out in the rain for several years so the circlips and plugs were a trifle rusty. After months of patient soaking the plugs came out with a bit of heat, the tops were cleaned up, the legs done once again by AM Philpot Ltd, and the forks reassembled with new oil, seals, circlips and top bungs. They fitted the existing yokes and just had to be clamped with an inch or so showing over the top yoke for the right ride height. New clamp bolts, the extra disk fitted onto the front wheel (the mountings are already there though covered by a black trim on the 500), the new mudguard that I’d found fitted, the right hand caliper, chosen master cylinder and hose set fitted, and - bugger ! The calipers are the same as I’d hoped but the bloody carriers are handed. I bought a pair of calipers from a RE5 from the states. Just for the carrier. Still, it all went together OK. Another idea was the fairing shown in the middle picture. This was sold to, and I’m sure would, fit the 500. Trouble is it’s a racing one so it would need the footrests, stands and kickstart removed and rearsets fitted. So it wasn’t ever really a starter and is now up for grabs if anybody wants it. The expansion chambers and pipes were fitted - bloody hell they were a absolute bastard. It took 30 minutes of patient wiggling on each side. They certainly look the part. Next, the rearsets. These are very nice I must say - thanks Titan Performance. The bar end mirrors and bars were already fitted. Off for a blast. Ran just like a proper two stroke but I couldn’t ride it with the rearsets - partly because I couldn’t get on with (too old) for the riding position) but mostly because the exhausts restrict the angle of the footrests so my ankle couln’t work the gearchange. So back on went the ordinary footrests. New rider and pillion footrests were fitted - tidies the bike up a lot.

Part three

I also found a seat and had it rebuilt as a Giuliari seat by Morretti Ltd near Stroud which is fitted in some of the pictures with a grab rail. And a decent pattern rear Mudguard. Also fitted was a new higher output alternator and regulator from which was fitted to end the gradual dissolution of the OE Suzuki electrics. After riding it for a while I thought my fellow citizens’ ears were bleeding a bit too freely as I passed them especially as the expansions meant that the bike really had to be over 4000RPM to actually move. I’m sure the last one was better in that respect. So I drilled out the baffle rivets and took out the mufflers and made some inverted stinger ends (a bit like the Allspeeds that the last GT500 had) - that made it a quieter but still quite noisy. The worst thing was that I could now hear the noise from the engine - the noise that occurred when closing the throttle that I had assumed was the chain hitting something as it whips as the power comes off it is coming from the crankcase as well as more rattling than even a big two stroke should have. So I put the standard exhausts and seat, the carrier and top box back on as well as some heated grips and put it back into work mode. It’s now waiting for an engine strip, crank rebuild and rebore. And possibly some mild port optimisation and crank packing. Who Knows. And a proper tank job. And fixing the oil leak! Watch this space!